The second day of EID ALADHA is very special, it’s the day when we have to butcher our UDHIAS’ carcass to preserve meat, share some with poor people and give the family’s younger generation meat for their “Tagine”. My family calls this ritual “Khalouta”, wich means “a mix” because children tend to mix things without knowing steps… And this special tradition isn’t about following adults instructions but children are mostly following their “gut feelings”.
So, the first dish I made was a sweet Tagine with caramelized onions and cinnamon. My cousin Nouha and I shared this task and made our very first Khalouta… I remember that we didn’t know how to cook it but we were doing it anyway… we were doing it OUR WAY! I gotta say that it wasn’t that bad and that’s when you learn that you can never mess up a tagine!
For this Year’s Eid, my sister Chada had to do her “Khalouta”, she chose to make a Tagine with carrots and Zucchinis. I just let her do her magic but she already knew the steps to make it ( she’s such a foodie! )… She was the chef, I executed orders ( and corrected some)… But Here is the original recipe for this special Tagine that anyone could make!
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 medium zucchinis
- 1 small onion
- 0,5 Kg lamb meat
- 1 tbs chopped parsley
- 1tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Pinch of ginger
- Pinch of turmeric
- 1 1/2 tbs olive oil
- First, place the black pepper, paprika, ginger and turmeric into a small bowl and mix to combine. Place the meat in a large bowl and toss together with the spice mix. Cover and leave overnight in the fridge.
- In a tagine, add the olive oil, the grated onions and the meat. Let it cook for 5 min on low heat til the onion becomes soft then add enough boiling water to cover the meat. Covering the tagine is a must!
- Meanwhile, cut lengthwise the carrots and zuchinnis.
- After 20 minutes of cooking time, place the veggies on top of the tagine… Don’t forget to season it with salt, pepper, ginger and turmeric.
- Cover up the tagine and let it cook for 35-40 min on low-medium heat.
NB: keep checking on the level of water!